Friday, June 21, 2013

The NSA Breakfast Blog: Week 2

Data Surveillance



The NSA Breakfast Blog  is dedicated to helping the United States government and the National Security Agency, working under the Department of Defense,  help fight terrorism through data and knowledge. 

I am one of those foreign nationals, a Canadian, and thus I want to do my part in combating world-wide terrorism. I have decided that I can do this by duly and dutifully reporting my breakfast habits of the preceding few days. The blog will post on Fridays; and my breakfast-eating habits will consist of what I ate and drank from Monday to Thursday. This will run for a few weeks at most.






**********************
Here is what I ate the last few days:

Monday: I awake at 4:30 a.m. and start off with a glass of orange juice, followed by a cup of coffee (Maxwell House original brand) brewed in my French press, a Bodum model. I then, a couple of hours later, eat two slices of challah lightly toasted with margarine and some fruit, raspberries and strawberries, on the side. Note that due to the continuing chemo treatments, my sleep and awake cycle has been changed the last few months. Even so, I have adjusted quite well, I think, to my new normal routine.

Tuesday: Today is chemo day, so I only eat a light breakfast: two slices of rye bread lightly toasted with margarine with a glass of orange juice and a cup of coffee, two sugars and a little cream (10% mf). I always anticipate the upcoming nausea, tingling of fingers, loss of taste and appetite and general fatigue following a chemo session. To say it is unpleasant is an understatement.

Wednesday: I again awake at 4:30 a.m., and it is the day after chemo; I make myself a French omelette, with two slices of rye bread, lightly toasted, with peanut butter and a tall glass of orange juice. On the side I had some raspberries and strawberries. I was thinking blueberries would be nice but I don’t have any in my fridge. Mental note: get some at the market. In addition, I have my usual cup of coffee. The nausea remains, not severe but unpleasant, despite taking my two anti-nausea medications.

Thursday: Usual waking time. I had an excellent appetite today and I made myself an Israeli breakfast dish, shakshuka, composed of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, chili peppers, onions and spiced with cumin.The dish is of Tunisian origin, and I first tried this dish here in Toronto a few months ago, and I took to it right way, promising to make it at home..I ate this with cucumbers and a banana, along with two slices of lightly toasted rye bread with Becel-brand margarine . I also drank a tall glass of orange juice, with my two anti-nausea pills. This was followed by a cup of coffee. I feel full but content.

Such are my break-fast acting habits. I have not heard anything yet from U.S. President Barack Obama; I know that he must be busy. Understandably so. Perhaps Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper can give details of his breakfast habits. We Canadians know that he likes cats and hockey; both are positive signs. But does Harper eat Cheerios, Rice Crispies, or Corn Flakes for breakfast? Does he take milk or cream in his coffee? Does he like orange juice? How about farm-fresh eggs? These are important questions and Canadians want answers. Will they be forthcoming?