Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Police: Every Breath You Take



The Police performs “Every Breath You Take,” which was from the band’s 1983 album Synchronicity, written by Sting. This song is dedicated to the U.S.-based National Security Administration (NSA), who seems to have taken this song to heart.

As for the song’s origins, Wikipedia says, quoting an interview with Sting:
I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realize at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.
Sting[4]
Every breath you take/Every move you make/Every bond you break/Every step you take/I'll be watching you.

*****************

Every Breath You Take
by Sting

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you.

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you.

Oh can't you see
You belong to me?
How my poor heart aches with every step you take.

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you.

Since you've gone I've been lost without a trace.
I dream at night, I can only see your face.
I look around but it's you I can't replace.
I feel so cold, and I long for your embrace.
I keep crying baby, baby please...

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you.

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you...