Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sonny and Cher: I Got You Babe




















From: A 1965 performance.
Lyrics: Sonny Bono
Recorded: 1965
Released: 1965
Label: Atlantic Records



I Got You Babe: This is is the cover art for the seven-inch single I Got You Babe by the artist Sonny & Cher.
Photo Credit: Atlantic, and/or the graphic artist.













This song has personal significance for me. It was the first song on a greatest hits album that my parents bought for my brothers and I in 1966, when I was a precocious eight. They had different tastes in music, but they understood that we enjoyed young people's music, and surprised us with the record. We played it endlessly on our RCA stereophonic system, housed in a wooden cabinet.

Here's some more background information from Wikipedia:
Sonny Bono, a songwriter and record producer for Phil Spector, wrote the song for himself and his wife, Cher, late at night in their basement. Noted session drummer Hal Blaine performed the drums for the song. Bono was inspired to write the song to capitalize on the popularity of the term "babe," as heard in Bob Dylan's "It Ain't Me Babe" which was a hit for The Turtles.
Upon recording and releasing the song, "I Got You Babe" became the duo's biggest single, their signature song, and a defining recording of the early hippie countercultural movement. In August 1965, the single spent three weeks at the number-one spot on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 19 on the R&B charts in the United States. The duo's single also hit number one in the United Kingdom.

The song has been frequently covered and featured in film and television, including Sonny and Cher's own The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour. "I Got You Babe" made a bit of a comeback when it was heavily featured as Phil Connor's alarm clock wake up music in the 1993 movie Groundhog Day. Upon re-release, the single re-charted in the UK, reaching  no.66.

Sonny and Cher last performed the song together during an impromptu reunion on NBC's Late Night with David Letterman on Nov. 13, 1987. The song placed at  no. 444 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of all time.

I Got You Babe
By Sonny & Cher

HER: They say we're young and we don't know
We won't find out until we grow
HIM: Well I don't know if all that's true
'Cause you got me, and baby I got you

HIM: Babe
BOTH: I got you babe
I got you babe

HER: They say our love won't pay the rent
Before it's earned, our money's all been spent
HIM: I guess that's so, we don't have a pot
But at least I'm sure of all the things we got

HIM: Babe
BOTH: I got you babe
I got you babe

HIM: I got flowers in the spring
I got you to wear my ring
HER: And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always around

HER: Don't let them say your hair's too long
'Cause I don't care, with you I can't go wrong
HIM: Then put your little hand in mine
There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb

HIM: Babe
BOTH: I got you babe
I got you babe

HIM: I got you to hold my hand
HER: I got you to understand
HIM: I got you to walk with me
HER: I got you to talk with me
I got you to kiss goodnight
I got you to hold me tight
I got you, I won't let go
I got you to love me so

BOTH: I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.