Saturday, January 15, 2011

Andrea Bocelli: Besame Mucho



Andrea Bocelli, the Italian tenor, sings a classic Spanish-language love song, Besame Mucho. He does a masterful performance, as one would expect from him, a great tenor of undeniable talent. This video clip is taken from a performance at  Lake Las Vegas Resort near Las Vegas, Nevada, in 2006.

Album: Under The Desert Sky
Released: November 7, 2006
Guitarist: Ramon Stagnaro (Peru),
Pianist: David Foster

SONG'S HISTORY

"Bésame Mucho" is a Spanish language song written by Consuelo Velázquez, a Mexican songwriter, in 1941. It was first recorded that same year by Emilio Tuero. The song has become the most famous Spanish-language ballad in the world, covered by many artists in many languages.

Consuelo Velázquez, born August 29, 1916, in Ciudad Guzmán, Mexico, wrote the lyrics to the song when she was 25. As legend has it, the song was written by a young woman who had never been kissed.

There's more to the legend. There is a bit of mystery surrounding her date of birth, as well (she sometimes gave the date as 1920), which explains the popular myth that she wrote the song before her 20th birthday, which helps make the song more romantic. For example, after Consuelo Velázquez died on January 22, 2005, aged 88, one news-magazine, Mexconnect, dedicated to all things Mexico wrote:
Consuelo Velázquez was one of Mexico's best known modern songwriters. She wrote her most famous song – "Bésame mucho" – before her 20th birthday. When asked, years later, whose love had inspired the powerful lyrics, she replied that she had written it before she had ever been kissed, and said that the entire song was a "product of [her] imagination".
The English version was written by Sunny Skylar (Selig Shaftel) in 1944. (It made him a wealthy man.) That year, the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra made it a hit, with vocals by Kitty Kallen and Bob Eberly.  It became a big hit during the end of the Second World War. Another English version is by Bobby Naret & His Orchestra (1944) with Martha Love, a Belgian jazz singer, providing vocals.

In addition, another beautiful rendition is a piano interpretation by the song's composer, Consuelo Velázquez. There are so many other versions, but here are a few to consider: Emilio Tuero, Dean Martin, Diana Krall, and The Beatles (1962).

Besame Mucho
By Consuelo Velazquez

Bésame, bésame mucho
Como si fuera esta noche
La última vez

Bésame, bésame mucho
Que tengo miedo a perderte
Perderte después

Bésame, bésame mucho
Como si fuera esta noche
La última vez

Bésame, bésame mucho
Que tengo miedo a perderte
Perderte después

Quiero tenerte muy cerca
Mirarme en tus ojos
Verte junto a mi
Piensa que tal ves mañana
Yo ya estaré lejos
Muy lejos de ti

Bésame, bésame mucho
Como si fuera esta noche
La última vez

Bésame, bésame mucho
Que tengo miedo a perderte
Perderte después

Bésame, bésame mucho
Que tengo miedo a perderte
Perderte después

Que tengo miedo a perderte
Perderte después


ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
Kiss Me A Lot

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
As if tonight was
the last time.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
Because I fear to lose you,
To lose you later.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
As if tonight was
the last time.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
Because I fear to lose you,
To lose you later.

I want to have you very close
To see myself in your eyes,
To see you next to me,
Think that perhaps tomorrow
I already will be far,
very far from you.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
As if tonight was
the last time.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
Because I fear to lose you,
To lose you later.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
Because I fear to lose you,
To lose you later.

Because I fear to lose you,
To lose you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.