Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Billie Holiday: The Very Thought of You



Today is Science Wednesday, but I have not yet completed the article I planned for Great Scientific Advances: The Polio Vaccine. If all goes well, I will have that ready for next Wednesday's edition. I apologize for the delay.

To change speeds, and to keep you company, I thought you might like to listen to some Billie Holiday and The Very Thought of You. The song was written by Ray Noble, an English bandleader and arranger, who published what has become both a jazz and pop standard in 1934.

It has been sung by many singers, including well-known version by Bing Crosby (1934), Nat "King" Cole (1958), Frank Sinatra (1962), Ella Fitzgerald (1962), and Etta James (1994).

All are beautiful renditions and sung with heart and passion. Billie Holiday's version, of 1938, is the one I decided to spotlight today. It has a certain dreamlike ethereal quality that carries me far away.  You are welcome to give all the versions a spin on the virtual turntable.

The Very Thought of You
By Ray Noble

The very thought of you and I forget to do
The little ordinary things that everyone ought to do.
I'm living in a kind of daydream, and I'm happy as a king,
And foolish though it may seem, to me that's everything.

The mere idea of you, the longing here for you,
You'll never know how slow the moments go till I'm near to you.
I see your face in every flower, your eyes in stars above,
It's just the thought of you, the very thought of you, my love.

I see your face in every flower, your eyes in stars above,
It's just the thought of you, the very thought of you, my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.