Thursday, January 13, 2011

Frank Sinatra: I've Got You Under My Skin




Written by: Cole Porter: 1936
Recorded: October 17, 1955, January 9 – 12, 16, 1956:
Capitol Records Studio: Los Angeles, California
Released: March 1956
Album: Songs for Swingin' Lovers
Label: Capitol Records

This is the version by Frank Sinatra and the Count Basie Orchestra. Cole Porter wrote the song in 1936, where it was first sung by Virginia Bruce in the MGM musical film Born to Dancestarring  Eleanor Powell  and James Stewart.

Here is a wonderful dance scene from the movie with Cole Porter's song. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song, but it lost out to The Way You Look Tonight.

As for Frank Sinatra's version, Wikipedia says:
Sinatra first sang the song on his weekly radio show in 1946, as the second part of a medley with "Easy to Love". He put his definitive stamp on the tune ten years later, in a swinging big-band version that built to successive crescendos on the back of an arrangement by Nelson Riddle. Riddle was a fan of Maurice Ravel, and has said that this arrangement was inspired by the Boléro [1].
Sinatra aficionados usually rank this as one of his finest collaborations with Riddle's orchestra. An insistent saxophone section propels the chart which climaxes in a startlingly out-of-control slide trombone solo by Milt Bernhart. Appreciating the excitement of the arrangement, Sinatra usually included the song in his concerts thereafter—a tradition carried on by Frank Jr [2].

Sinatra re-recorded "I've Got You Under My Skin" for the album Sinatra's Sinatra (1963), an album of re-recordings of his personal favorites. This time the trombone solo was by Dick Nash because Bernhart was booked for another session.
In addition, you can listen to a modern jazz rendition by Diana Krall.

I've Got You Under My Skin
By Cole Porter

I've  got you under my skin
I've got you deep in the heart of me
So deep in my heart
You're really a part of me
I've got you under my skin

I tried so not to give in
I said to myself this affair
Never will go so well

But why should I try to resist
When baby I know so well
That I've got you under my skin

I would sacrifice anything
Come what might
For the sake of having you near
In spite of a warning voice
That comes in the night
It repeats,  repeats in my ear

Don't you know you old fool
You never can win
Use your mentality
Wake up to reality

But each time that I do
Just the thought of you
Makes me stop before I begin

'cause I've got you under my skin

I'd sacrifice anything
Come what might
For the sake of having you near
In spite of a warning voice
That comes in the night
It repeats and it yells in my ear

Don't you know you old fool
You never can win
Why not use your mentality
Wake up to reality

But each time that I do
Just the thought of you
Makes me stop before I begin

'cause I've got you under my skin
'cause I've got you under my skin

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.