Saturday, January 8, 2011

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: Mary Poppins



This video is from the New York City Broadway stage version of Mary Poppins, which stars Ashley Brown as Mary Poppins and Gavin Lee as Bert. (see Mary Poppins on Broadway).

The song, whose title contains 34 letters, was written by the Sherman Brothers, and sung originally by Julie Andrews (Mary Poppins) and Dick Van Dyke (Bert) in the original 1964 Disney musical film. Mary Poppins is a period piece set in 1910 London, at the end of the Edwardian Period. Accordingly, the songs and performances reflect that musical period.


The original version from 1964 is here. The lyrics are below, if you would like to sing along.

Original Poster of Mary Poppins film (1964), which starred Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke.
Source: CineMasterpieces: http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/marypoppins.jpg


Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
By the Sherman Brothers

It's...
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Even though the sound of it
Is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough
You'll always sound precocious

All:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay!

Bert:
Because I was afraid to speak
When I was just a lad
My father gave me nose a tweak
And told me I was bad
But then one day I learned a word
That saved me achin' nose

Bert, Mary Poppins and Chorus:
The biggest word I ever heard
And this is how it goes: Oh!

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Even though the sound of it
Is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough
You'll always sound precocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay!

Mary Poppins:
He traveled all around the world
And everywhere he went
He'd use his word and all would say
'There goes a clever gent'

Bert:
When Dukes and maharajas
Pass the time of day with me
I say me special word and then
They ask me out to tea

Bert, Mary Poppins and Chorus:
Oh..
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Even though the sound of it
Is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough
You'll always sound precocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay!

Mary Poppins:
So when the cat has got your tongue
There's no need for dismay
Just summon up this word
And then you've got a lot to say

But better use it carefully
Or it could change your life
For example
One night I said it to me girl
And now me girl's my wife!

She's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.