Monday, February 14, 2011

Elvis Presley: Love Me Tender



Great Legends of Sport will return next week.

Today is February 14th, Valentine's Day, and I am changing the usual schedule, as a reminder to all lovers out there that we sought to cherish the important people in our lives. Some people will call this sentimental, well so be it. Such people are cynical and sad, safe in their assumptions, but in need of love—as we all do.

For love in its pure undistilled form is the answer. Unless we try, we'll never be successful, with anything that we do, including love. This song is one of my favourites, from one of the singers and entertainers that I grew up with listening to—Mr. Elvis Presley.

This video clip is from the 1968 televised comeback special, called the '68 Comeback Special. This was televised on December 3, 1968, which I remember watching later on. Here, Presley sings to his wife, Priscilla, a tender love song and a tender moment. Happy Valentine's Day to all.

Written by: Ken Darby, Elvis Presley & Vera Matson
Recorded: August 24, 1956
Released: October 6, 1956
Label: RCA Records


Love Me Tender: Cover of 45 rpm single.
Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/Lovemetenderelvissingle.jpg

The song is adapted from an US Civil War tune, composed by George R. Poulton with words by W.W. Fosdick. It was called Aura Lee, and published in 1861.


Love Me Tender

Love me tender,
Love me sweet,
Never let me go.
You have made my life complete,
And I love you so.

Love me tender,
Love me true,
All my dreams fulfilled.
For my darlin' I love you,
And I always will.

Love me tender,
Love me long,
Take me to your heart.
For it's there that I belong,
And well never part.

Love me tender,
Love me dear,
Tell me you are mine.
Ill be yours through all the years,
Till the end of time.

(when at last my dreams come true
Darling this I know
Happiness will follow you
Everywhere you go).

2 comments:

  1. This is the coolest most romantic song ever. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It certainly is among the top ten.

    ReplyDelete

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.