Monday, March 7, 2011

Billy Joel: My Life



Billy Joel at the Tokyo Dome, the largest concert venue in Japan, in November 2006. My Life is the third track on the album, 52nd Street, released in 1978. The album was ranked number 352 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time in 2003.

***********************
The 1960s and '70s were my formative years, and music played an important role in my development as a thoughtful individual. I have always found Bill Joel's lyrics to be intelligent and well-written, having a certain resonance with me. It's true that I may leave Joel for a while, but I always return. And like a faithful friend he remains steady and available.

This song in particular is an anthem for independence and personal freedom, particularly from busybodies, naysayers and other meddlesome persons of the Nanny State, who always seem to have some unsolicited (perhaps well-intended) advice to give. To them, and others, I offer this song.



******************
Written by: Billy Joel
Recorded: 1978
Released: 1978
Album: 52nd Steeet
Label: Columbia Records

Billy Joel: 52nd Street album cover, 1978
Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Billy_Joel_52nd_Street_album_cover.JPG




My Life

Got a call from an old friend
We used to be real close
Said he couldn't go on the American way
Closed the shop, sold the house
Bought a ticket to the West Coast
Now he gives them a stand-up routine in L.A.

I don't need you to worry for me cause I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
(I never said you had to)
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
(I never said)
I still belong, don't get me wrong
You can speak your mind
But not on my time

They will tell you, you can't sleep alone in a strange place
Then they'll tell you, you can't sleep with somebody else
Ah, but sooner or later you sleep in your own space
Either way it's okay to wake up with yourself

I don't need you to worry for me cause I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
(I never said you had to)
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
(Of cirumstance)
I still belong, don't get me wrong
You can speak your mind
But not on my time

I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone

(Keep it to yourself, it's my life.)
(Keep it to yourself, it's my life.)
(Keep it to yourself, it's my life.)
(Keep it to yourself, it's my life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.