Wednesday, March 16, 2011

George Harrison: While My Guitar Gently Weeps



This is a video clip at the Concert For Bangladesh, held at Madison Square Garden in New York City on August 1, 1971.

The benefit concert was to raise funds and awareness for the people of Bangladesh (formerly east Pakistan) after a tropical cyclone and civil war had displaced and killed  hundreds of thousands of people and left many more as refugees. The concert raised almost $250,000 (US) for Bangladesh relief, which was administered by UNICEF

Eric Clapton, a good friend of Harrison, plays lead guitar, as he did on the original Beatles album a few years earlier  This song was first recorded by the Beatles for their double album The Beatles (also known as The White Album) in 1968, featuring the lead guitar of Eric Clapton.

Written by: George Harrison
Recorded: September 5, 1968: EMI Studios, London
Released: November 22, 1968
Album: The Beatles (White Album)
Label: Apple Records

The Concert For Bangladesh: Original Poster announcing the impending release of an album and film of the August 1, 1971 concert at Madison Square Garden in New York. The line-up included Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Billy Preston. Ravi Shankar, Ringo Starr, in addition to  George Harrison.
Credit & SourceThe Concert for Bangladesh



Here are some notes to the song's origins:

Inspiration for the song came to Harrison when reading the I Ching, which, as he put it, "seemed to me to be based on the Eastern concept that everything is relative to everything else ... opposed to the Western view that things are merely coincidental."[5] Taking this idea of relativism to his parents’ home in northern England, Harrison committed to write a song based on the first words he saw upon opening a random book. Those words were “gently weeps” and he immediately began the song. As he said:
"I wrote 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' at my mother's house in Warrington. I was thinking about the Chinese I Ching, the Book of Changes. ... The Eastern concept is that whatever happens is all meant to be, and that there's no such thing as coincidence — every little item that's going down has a purpose.
'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' was a simple study based on that theory. I decided to write a song based on the first thing I saw upon opening any book — as it would be a relative to that moment, at that time. I picked up a book at random, opened it, saw 'gently weeps,' then laid the book down again and started the song."[6]
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
by George Harrison


I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps
I look at the floor and I see it need sweeping
Still my guitar gently weeps

I don't know why nobody told you
how to unfold your love
I don't know how someone controlled you
they bought and sold you

I look at the world and I notice it's turning
While my guitar gently weeps
With every mistake we must surely be learning
Still my guitar gently weeps

I don't know how you were diverted
you were perverted too
I don't know how you were inverted
no one alerted you

I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps
I look at you all
Still my guitar gently weeps

( I look from the wings at the play you are staging
While my guitar gently weeps
As I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging
Still my guitar gently weeps )

Oh, oh, oh
oh oh oh oh oh oh oh
oh oh, oh oh, oh oh
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
yeah yeah yeah yeah

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.