Saturday, March 19, 2011

John Coltrane: My Favorite Things




My Favorite Things is a show tune from the 1959 Rodgers and Hammerstein Broadway musical The Sound of Music.

In 1960, John Coltrane made a jazz album, My Favorite Things, and the cover song from it is an extended, almost fourteen minutes in length, version of the Broadway classic. Playing a soprano sax, Coltrane showed imagination and innovation. It became a jazz classic and Coltrane's signature tune.


The Sound of Music: Original poster from the 1959 Broadway production with music by Rodgers & Hammerstein.
 Photo Credit & Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/The_Sound_of_Music_OBC_Album_Cover.jpg  


For those who want to hear words to the music, here is Julie Andrews singing the most well-known version from the 1965 movie, The Sound of Music.

My Favorite Things
by Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
brown paper packages tied up with strings,
these are a few of my favorite things.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels,
door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles.
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings.
these are a few of my favorite things.

Girls in a white dresses with a blue satin sashes,
snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
silver white winters that melt into springs,
these are a few of my favorite things.

When the dog bites, when the bee stings,
when I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
and then I don't feel so bad.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
brown paper packages tied up with strings,
these are a few of my favorite things.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels,
door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles.
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings.
these are a few of my favorite things.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes,
snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
silver white winters that melt into springs,
these are a few of my favorite things.

When the dog bites, when the bee stings,
when I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
and then I don't feel so bad.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.