Thursday, March 24, 2011

Supertramp: The Logical Song

You can listen to Supertramp’s “The Logical Song” here.

Written by: Roger Hodgson
Recorded: May—December 1978: The Village Recorder/Studio B, Los Angeles, California
Released: March 29, 1979

Album: Breakfast in America
Label: A & M Records

************************************
Although the song is overtly about the pains of lost idealism, imagination, play and childhood, it also speaks about what was replaced in its stead: a life that says being logical, sensible, rational, conformist and self-censoring is necessary for the collective societal well-being. For some, that might be the case. For others who want more meaning and individual expression, it's not.

The song might be considered an adolescent rant by many, but if you examine the words, you might think otherwise.


Breakfast In America: Album Cover, 1979. This was Supertramp's sixth album.
Source: Wikipedia


The Logical Song
by Roger Hodgson

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world's asleep,
the questions run too deep
for such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
but please tell me who I am.

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
liberal, fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
acceptable, respecable, presentable, a vegtable!

At night, when all the world's asleep,
the questions run so deep
for such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
but please tell me who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.