Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Monkees: I'm a Believer



Lyrics by: Neil Diamond
Recorded: June–November 1966
Released: January 9, 1967
Album: More of The Monkees
Label: RCA Victor Records (UK); Colgems Records (US)
*****************
The Monkees were a pop group, consisting of Americans Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork, and Englishman Davy Jones. This is from This is The Monkees' official video. The song was first released as a single on November 21, 1966, and then as part of the album, "More of the Monkees," in January 1967. Micky Dolenz is singing.

The song was one of the fewer than thirty all-time singles to have sold at least 10 million copies worldwide. The album was number one on the Billboard 200 for 18 weeks—the longest of any Monkees album. It also went to number one in the United Kingdom. In the U.S. it was certified quintuple platinum by the RIAA with sales of more than five million copies. It was the biggest-selling record for all of 1967, that taking place in the "Summer of Love."

For the sake of comparison, you can hear Neil Diamond's fine version here.

More of The Monkees: Album cover, 1967. ( l to r): Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork, Davy Jones, and Micky Dolenz.
Source: Wikipedia


I'm a Believer
By Neil Diamond

I thought love was only true in fairytales
Meant for someone else but not for me
Love was out to get me
That's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all my dreams

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind
I'm in love, I'm a believer
I couldn't leave her if I tried

I thought love was more or less a givin' thing
Seems the more I gave the less I got
What's the use in trying?
All you get is pain
When I needed sunshine I got rain

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind
I'm in love, I'm a believer
I couldn't leave her if I tried

Love was out to get me
Now that's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all my dreams

Oh then I saw her face, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind
I'm in love, I'm a believer
I couldn't leave her if I tried

2 comments:

  1. Music ended in 1904, between the composition of the third and fourth movements of Mahler's 6th Symphony. Then it returned to life in about 1956 when rock'n'roll came into existence. At the time of the Monkees, music was alive and well. It has been getting worse ever since.
    http://www.jochnowitz.net/Essays/ADiscordant.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prof Jochnowitz,

    Thank you for your comments. I can't say I enjoy today's music, much of it discordant and lacking in musicality. But apparently millions disagree with such an assessment. And the band plays on ...

    ReplyDelete

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.