Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Beatles: I Want to Hold Your Hand



The Beatles perform on The Ed Sullivan Show on  February 23, 1964.

******************
Written by: John Lennon & Paul McCartney
Recorded: October 17, 1963: EMI Studios, London
Released: November 29, 1963 (UK); December 26, 1963 (US)
Label: Parlophone (UK); Capitol Records (US)

I was six when I first viewed The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show in the winter of 1964. Needless to say I liked them and their upbeat music instantly. It was pure pop music and an invitation to enter a happy time when not everything around us was happy or uplifting. For example, The Beatles came to America a few months after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy and the nation was still in mourning. Their music undoubtedly help set a new mood of  optimism. Their music, and this song, is still relevant today.

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" is listed in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. In addition, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIA) and the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) have named it as one of the Songs of the Century. Rolling Stone magazine has also ranked the song no. 16 on its 2004 list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

The Beatles: Cover of the 45 rpm single, which has on the flip side, I Saw Her Standing There.
Source: Wikipedia
You can listen to another version of the song here, with a brief introduction to it by George Martin, the esteemed record producer. It is from The Beatles Anthology, a documentary that was originally broadcast in 1995 and has since been released on DVD.

I Want to Hold Your Hand
by Lennon & McCartney

Oh yeah, I´ll tell you something
I think you´ll understand
When I say that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

Oh, please, say to me
You´ll let me be your man
and please, say to me

You´ll let me hold your hand
Now let me hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

And when I touch you i feel happy, inside
It´s such a feeling
That my love
I can't hide
I can't hide
I can't hide

Yeah you, got that something
I think you´ll understand
When I say that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

And when I touch you I feel happy, inside
It´s such a feeling
That my love
I can't hide
I can't hide
I can't hide

Yeah you, got that something
I think you´ll understand
When I feel that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand.



2 comments:

  1. Rock and roll was the best music composed in the second half of the 20th century, and the Beatles were its most notable performers and creators. The behavior of the audience was unfortunate, however.
    Not too long ago, my wife and I went to see the Broadway show RAIN, with four actors who looked and sang exactly like the Beatles. The amplification was unbearable. After every song, ferociously blinding lights were turned on against the audience, together with signs saying "Applause." I assume that's what happened to the audience during the Ed Sullivan Show. We had to leave the theater despite the fact that we loved the music. The young people present could stay, since they had been deafened like most young people today. It's a tragedy--a minor tragedy--that the only people who can hear well nowadays are old farts like me, who grew up before ferocious amplification became the rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with Prof Jochnowitz's comments. I don't understand the need to amplify music to deafening levels; it's hard to understand how music can be enjoyed when presented in this way, a distortion of tonality. I also suspect that in the near future, we will be witnessing an increase in cases of deafness.

    ReplyDelete

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.