Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Neil Diamond: Solitary Man



Neil Diamond sings "Solitary Man" in a BBC performance in 1971. Neil Diamond wrote the song in 1966, when it was first released as a single. It is the first song on his debut album, "The Feel of Neil Diamond."


****************
Solitude, the word alone frightens many people as a unnatural state of affairs. There are times in our lives, no matter our current marital status or living arrangements, when we live as solitaries, the result of death, divorce, separation, argument, differences of thought. The song speaks of acceptance of solitude as a necessary prelude to finding someone who is true and faithful. This shows that most persons prefer to be in the company of others, in a loving relationship, and studies show such is a healthy preference. Or, as Honoré de Balzac, the 19th century French novelist and playwright, put it, "Solitude is fine, but you need someone to tell you that solitude is fine. "


Solitary Man
by Neil Diamond

Melinda was mine
'Til the time
That I found her
Holding Jim
Loving Him
Then Sue came along
Loved me strong
That's what I thought
Me and Sue
But that died too

Don't know that I will
But until I can find me
The girl who'll stay
And won't play games behind me
I'll be what I am
A solitary man
Solitary man

I've had it to here
Bein' where
Love's a small word
Part-time thing
Paper ring

I know it's been done
Havin' one
Girl who'll love me
Right or wrong
Weak or strong

Don't know that I will
But until I can find me
The girl who'll stay
And won't play games behind me
I'll be what I am
A solitary man
Solitary man

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.