Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pavarotti & Minnelli: New York, New York



Luciano Pavarotti & Liza Minnell sing New York, New York.

The song was written by John Kander (composition) and Fred Ebb (lyrics) for the 1977 musical film, New York, New York, directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Liza Minnelli and Robert DeNiro. Minnelli sang the song in the film.  The song is a testimony to the city's greatness or some would say, toughness, where dreams are either made or dashed.

Frank Sinatra's version of the song that he recorded in 1979, found on the album Trilogy: Past Present Future (1980), has become the one most people associate as the original. (Here is a version of Frank Sinatra solo, and here is a version of Frank Sinatra and Liza Minnelli.)

*****************
New York, New York
by John Kander & Fred Ebb

Start spreadin' the news, I'm leavin' today
I want to be a part of it, New York, New York
These vagabond shoes are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it, New York, New York

I wanna wake up in a city that doesn't sleep
And find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap

These little town blues are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it, in old New York
If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you, New York, New York

New York, New York
I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps
And find I'm A-number-one, top of the list,
King of the hill, A-number-one

These little town blues are melting away
I'm gonna make a brand new start of it in old New York
If I can make it there, I'm gonna make it anywhere
It's up to you, New York, New York

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.