Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Beatles: The Long And Winding Road

This is from The Beatles' album, "Let it Be" (1970), their last released album, recorded at the Apple headquarters in New York City in January 1969. You can view a 2009 digitally remastered version here. Billy Preston, often called the fifth Beatle, is playing the other keyboard, a Hammond organ.

************************************

The marriage that united these four lads from Liverpool was just about over, the breakup imminent. The music they made together lives on, as does the music they each made individually. This song, a ballard actually, has a mournful feeling, reflective and introspective, which is not surprising considering what is taking place in the background.  One of the greatest musical bands in rock history were no more, beset by tensions common to talented musicians rubbing each other the wrong way. The song acts as a counterpoint. Paul McCartney wrote the song at home in front of his piano, inspired by, as he said, "the calm beauty of Scotland."

Let It Be: The 12th and final studio album of the British rock group, The Beatles, released on May 8, 1970. "The Long and Wnding Road" is the seventh track on side two.
Photo Source & Credit: Wikipedia


The Long and Winding Road
By Paul McCartney & John Lennon

The long and winding road
That leads to your door
Will never disappear
I've seen that road before
It always leads me here
Lead me to you door

The wild and windy night
That the rain washed away
Has left a pool of tears
Crying for the day
Why leave me standing here?
Let me know the way

Many times I've been alone
And many times I've cried
Anyway you'll never know
The many ways I've tried

And still they lead me back
To the long winding road
You left me standing here
A long long time ago
Don't leave me waiting here
Lead me to your door

But still they lead me back
To the long winding road
You left me standing here
A long long time ago
Don't keep me waiting here
Lead me to your door
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

2 comments:

  1. In 1970, the Beatles had lost their spark and were becoming too arty. It was the right time for them to break up. Like so many creative artists, they had come to the conclusion that simplicity is the opposite of greatness.
    Mozart, fortunately, never reached that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. The last album has Phil Spector's handiwork with that overwrought "wall of sound." The break-up, although disappointing for many, led to good individual music by each of the band's members.

    ReplyDelete

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.