Saturday, June 16, 2012

Karsten Troyke: Budapescht



Karsten Troyke sings Budapescht (Budapest), one of the forgotten Yiddish love songs of opportunity and lament, of losing one's heart in Budapest.

**********************************

[Lyrics and English translation by Heizler]

Budapescht
Ich bin a Bucher jîng în frailech, ich fil sech gît,
es bengt sech mir nuch Libe,
es bengt sech mir nuch Glik.
Ich vill gain in alle Gassn în vill schrain: Gewalt!
A Maidale git mir bald!

Wail ich bin a Bucher jîng în frisch,
´ch gai sech ous mamesz far a Kîsch,
tref iech mir a Lodze Ponienka,
sie red poilisch în ich mîss stenkn:
Ja sze kocham a ty ´spysz!

Schpiel, Zigainer of dain Fidl,
schpiel mir up a Liebesliedl,
wail ich hob gelosst main Harts in Budapescht
in die Nacht ven die Levune hot geschaint.

Ich hob gevolt mit ihr bouen a Nest
în sie hot fîn mir sech ousgelacht
Ich hob gemaint, sie liebt mech ainem!
Sie libt nor mech în mehr nischt kainem!
Ich hob gemaint, ich kon fartrouen -
falsch is sie vie alle Frouen.

Bai die Rogatke `ch hob sie gelosst schtain!

[The lyrics in English]:
I'm a lad, young and happy,
I feel well
I've spirit for love, I aspire to be lucky
I'll go along all streets and
Shout: People, listen!
Give me a girl then.

Because I'm a young lad
I aspire to a kiss
I meet a girl from Lodz
She spoke Polish and I had to listen:
'Ja sze kocham a ty ´spysz!' (I love you, but you...) (I love you, but you sleep)

Play Gipsy, on your violin
Play a lovesong with me:
I've lost my heart in Budapest
In the night in moonlight

I wanted to build a nest with her,
But she laughted about it
I thought, she should love me
Just me, and any other
I thought, I can't trust her,
She is false as are all women!

In the corner, I'd let her go.

2 comments:

  1. This is a rare example of a song sung in Central (Polish, Hungarian) Yiddish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I find interesting is that Karsten Troyke is a German performer.

      Delete

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.