Monday, March 11, 2013

The Cancer Blog: Week 7

My Health

This blog within a blog will discuss cancer and all of my fears, hopes and expectations for a positive outcome—full and complete recovery. In addition, I plan to throw in some latest medical research. All cancer patients are interested, to some degree, in research and the latest medical findings; I am no exception. 

***********************************************
This week, my two boys, aged 4 and 11, are off from school for spring break; it's also the same week in which I have a chemo session (no. 3). Even so, I plan to make the best use of the time to ensure that the two boys are kept busy in a good way.

It all started yesterday when Olga and I took the boys bowling and then to a burger joint for, what else, burgers and fries. Other plans include taking them to a family movie (Oz the Great and Powerful, a Disney adaptation of The Wizard of Oz), playing mini-golf, going to a music store to pick out musical instruments, and viewing the dinosaur exhibit at the Royal Ontario Museum, for which we have a family membership. We also plan to join the Toronto Public Library, which we haven't done yet since moving to Toronto a few months ago. (Our eldest son loves to read, and goes through books quickly; the youngest, although not reading yet, loves the sound of words and to be read to.)

It sounds like a packed week, and it is. The plan is to take them to one event a day during the next six days, except for Tuesday, the day of my chemo session. The planned outings are a mix of cultural and fun activities; educational and leisure. We are fortunate to reside in a city where there is a good mix of things to do. Truly, such is important when you have children [see Death by Boredom]; and it's important for oldsters like me looking for a little entertainment and culture to focus my thoughts elsewhere. (I actually enjoyed bowling, a fun family distraction, and I am a fairly good bowler.)

Additional thoughts: I hope that I have the koach (strength) for all this activity. And will my kids appreciate what my wife and I are doing for them? Unlikely today. Perhaps when they are 30. For now we are either good parents or foolish sentimentalists. 

2 comments:

  1. We all need to be appreciated. Sometimes this need is satisfied; often it is not.
    When I was about 8, my father taught me to drive a tractor, which I loved. He taught me to grease it, a technique I was glad to know at the time. When I was about 16, he taught me to operate a turret lathe, which I did not appreciate in the slightest. He encouraged me to study engineering, which I resisted. I understood that he was a good and loving parent, but I could not appreciate his efforts. After I switched majors in college, he and I could once again appreciate each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that appreciation is often sought, but not always received. My father wanted me to become an accountant; I wanted to become a journalist/writer; we both compromised and I became an engineer. Then I became a writer, 15 years after my father's death. Of course my father meant well.

      Delete

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.