Saturday, June 22, 2013

Marvin Gaye: I Heard It Through The Grapevine



Marvin Gaye [1939-1984] performs “I Heard It Through The Grapevine,” at the Montreux jazz festival in 1980; the song, written and composed by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong for Motown Records in 1966, was made famous by Marvin Gaye in a single released in October 1968 on Motown’s Tamla label. [There is an excellent bio article here (“Marvin Gaye: His Tragic Death and His Troubled Life”; Jet; June 16, 1984), following his death on April 1, 1984.]

People say believe half of what you see,/Son, and none of what you hear./I can't help bein' confused/If it's true please tell me dear?

*************
I Heard It Through The Grapevine 
by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong

Ooh, I bet you're wondering how I knew
About you plans to make me blue
With some other guy that you knew before.
Between the two of us guys
You know I love you more.
It took me by surprise I must say,
When I found out yesterday.
Don't you know that...

(Chorus:)
I heard it through the grapevine
Not much longer would you be mine.
Oh I heard it through the grapevine,
Oh and I'm just about to lose my mind.
Honey, honey yeah.

I know that a man ain't supposed to cry,
But these tears I can't hold inside.
Losin' you would end my life you see,
'Cause you mean that much to me.
You could have told me yourself
That you love someone else.
Instead...

(Chorus)

People say believe half of what you see,
Son, and none of what you hear.
I can't help bein' confused
If it's true please tell me dear?
Do you plan to let me go
For the other guy you loved before?
Don't you know...

(Chorus)

Honey Honey I know
That you're letting me go
said, "I heard it through the grapvine"
Heard it theought the grapevine......

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.