Saturday, August 31, 2013

My Last Post

Good-Bye For Now

After three years and more than 1,400 posts, it is now the right time to review what I have achieved during this period, and to do so with an intelligent and rational purpose of coming to a meaningful decision. First, I hope that I have made a small contribution to engaging and debating ideas that shape our human condition, and moreover have done so in a thoughtful and honest way. If this is the case, and you can be the judge, I have achieved something important. But all good things, as the saying goes, must eventually come to an end.

This decision was not an easy one to make but a necessary one. A contributing factor has been my neuropathy, chemo induced peripheral neuropathy, to be precise, which makes it difficult to write. If you have read my cancer blog, there is no need to explain further. I hope that this condition will improve, allowing me to continue my writing later on. I love writing, but I need to give my body time to heal, to recover. Such is my purpose.

Second, I would like to thank all the wonderful individuals who contributed articles, thus helping to make it a success: it recently reached 400,000 page-views. Many things come together to make something a success, and for blogs it’s the content, it’s the writing that engages readers. I am thankful to Prof. George Jochnowitz, Ms. Lorna Salzman, Mr. Salomon Benzimra and Prof. Gad Saad for their many well-written and thoughtful essays, and to Mr. S.L. Levy for his photo essays on humanity and to Mr. Jacob Greenbaum, for his short story.

I might not always agree with their arguments, points of view or how they interpret ideas, but I will always defend their right to say it, notably in a public forum. Such is one of the fundamentals of free speech and debate. Without thoughtful and rational countering points of views, how can individuals know, or test, the validity of their views? Echo chambers are hardly suitable for such things.

Third, I must also give due mention to my wife, Olga (Sarah), who has been a faithful, loving and constant supporter of my writing throughout the years. Thank you, Oggie, for being there for me, notably when my need was greatest and my morale weakest.

And, yet, as important as the writing is, it’s the readers that make writing and posting the articles and essays all the more rewarding. I am thankful that I have “met” many wonderful people around the world, simply by posting articles online. It has been a rewarding experience in ways that go beyond the monetary and financial; and I can say this since this blog has truly been a labour of love, done without any expectation of financial reward or remuneration.

Given its importance and dominance in my life (ask my wife), I might return to this blog in the future, adding to the many articles it contains. Yet, predicting the future is always an exercise in hopeful thinking. This decision is predicated on my ability to use the keyboard without pain or discomfort, which is currently not the case. All the best to you, my dear readers, be well and healthy, and keep on fighting the good fight.

In keeping with the spirit of Jewish New Year (Rosh HaShanah), 5774, which takes place after sundown on September 4th, I wish everyone l’Shanah Tovah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.