Thursday, November 21, 2013

An Early Morning Awakening

 
This morning, at around 3:30, I awoke with a feeling of nausea, something I haven't had since my chemo treatments. I attributed it to eating too much stuffed cabbages (i.e., holishkes). After walking to the bathroom, I smelt smoke in our apartment, although saw no fire. I awoke my wife, who awoke our two boys. We immediately called 911 for the fire department. We opened the door to the balcony to let in some fresh air, and then went downstairs to the lobby of our building, bundling our sleepy five-year-old in a blanket.

The firefighters were already in the building, arriving within minutes of our call; the police also came a few minutes later. In all, about two dozen firefighters walked up and down our building trying to locate the source of the smoky smell, which they attributed to either a "burning pot on the stove or some paper."

After about 45 minutes of searching, they had no luck in finding the source. We returned to our apartment at about 4:30 am, and there remains a faint smoke smell: I would have been happier if they had found the source. The youngest and my wife went back to sleep; the oldest couldn't and is now watching TV. And I writing.

We thank the Toronto firefighters for their professionalism. I am still a little shaken, recalling memories of a fire that destroyed our residence when I was 12. But we are all well, although tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.