Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Blondie:Heart of Glass (1979)


Deborah Harry and the American punk  and new wave band, Blondie, perform "Heart of Glass" in 1979. This song has a certain significance for me; here I was working for the summer, as an engineering student, in an open pit copper mine in Williams Lake, B.C., a city boy far from his hometown of Montreal and all that it contained. It was May, and I was doodling with the radio to find some music I liked; and then this ethereal voice and this song connected me to what I considered civilization.

As the Youtube introduction to the song points out:
"Heart of Glass" is a song and single from the 1978 album, "Parallel Lines", by Blondie. The album was released on Chrysalis Records (EMI) and was produced by Mike Chapman. The album has sold over 20 million copies worldwide and is the band's most successful release. Six of the album's tracks were released as singles, including the big hit "Heart of Glass".
"Heart of Glass" was written by Deborah Harry and Chris Stein and produced by Mike Chapman. The single was released in January 1979 on Chrysalis Records and was a #1 hit in many countries, including the UK and the U.S.
***************
Heart of Glass
Deborah Harry & Chris Stein

Once I had a love and it was a gas
Soon turned out had a heart of glass
Seemed like the real thing, only to find
Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind

Once I had a love and it was divine
Soon found out I was losing my mind
It seemed like the real thing but I was so blind
Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind

In between
What I find is pleasing and I'm feeling fine
Love is so confusing there's no peace of mind
If I fear I'm losing you it's just no good
You teasing like you do

Once I had a love and it was a gas
Soon turned out had a heart of glass
Seemed like the real thing, only to find
Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind

Lost inside
Adorable illusion and I cannot hide
I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside
We could've made it cruising, yeah

Yeah, riding high on love's true bluish light

Once I had a love and it was a gas
Soon turned out I had a heart of glass [radio version]
Soon turned out to be a pain in the ass [album version]
Seemed like the real thing only to find
Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.