Thursday, July 31, 2014

Elvis Presley: It's Now or Never (1960)




Elvis Presley sings "It's Now or Never," recorded in 1960. The melody of the song is adapted from the Italian standard, "'O Sole Mio,"a Neapolitan song from 1898 composed by Eduardo Di Capua & Emanuele Alfredo Mazzucchi with lyrics by Giovanni Capurro. (You can hear The Three Tenors' wonderful version of "O Sole Mio" here).  Thus it comes at no surprise that the song became highly popular.

Elvis Aaron Presley served in the United States Army for two years, between March 1958 and March 1960; he was posted in Germany. This song is today dedicated to the members of the IDF, who know what they have to do to protect Israel from terror. Halakhically, in accordance to rabbinical law, Elvis was Jewish. "So Elvis’s great great maternal grandmother was Jewish and had a daughter who had a daughter who had a daughter that was Elvis’s mother," Adam Chandler writes in Tablet.

********************
Written by: Aaron Schroeder & Wally Gold
Recorded: April 3, 1960
Released: July 5, 1960
Single: It's Now or Never/A Mess of Blues
Label: RCA Records

In 1960, the song spent five weeks in the United States at number one, and in the United Kingdom, eight weeks. The song has generated sales of more than 25 million copies worldwide.
********************

Elvis Presley: It's Now or Never, 1960 single sleeve.
Source: Wikipedia


It's Now or Never
by Aaron Schroeder & Wally Gold

It's now or never,
come hold me tight
Kiss me my darling,
be mine tonight
Tomorrow will be too late,
it's now or never
My love won't wait.
When I first saw you
with your smile so tender
My heart was captured,
my soul surrendered
I'd spend a lifetime
waiting for the right time
Now that your near
the time is here at last.
It's now or never,
come hold me tight
Kiss me my darling,
be mine tonight
Tomorrow will be too late,
it's now or never
My love won't wait.
Just like a willow,
we would cry an ocean
If we lost true love
and sweet devotion
Your lips excite me,
let your arms invite me
For who knows when
we'll meet again this way
It's now or never,
come hold me tight
Kiss me my darling,
be mine tonight
Tomorrow will be too late,
it's now or never
My love won't wait.

O Sole Mio
Eduardo Di Capua, Emanuele Alfredo Mazzucchi & Giovanni Capurro

Che bella cosa na jurnata 'e sole,
n'aria serena doppo na tempesta!
Pe' ll'aria fresca pare già na festa...
Che bella cosa na jurnata 'e sole.
Ma n'atu sole
cchiù bello, oje ne'.
O sole mio
sta 'nfronte a te!
O sole
O sole mio
sta 'nfronte a te!
sta 'nfronte a te!
Quanno fa notte e 'o sole se ne scenne,
me vene quase 'na malincunia;
sotto 'a fenesta toia restarria
quanno fa notte e 'o sole se ne scenne.
Ma n'atu sole
cchiù bello, oje ne'.
O sole mio
sta 'nfronte a te!
O sole
O sole mio
sta 'nfronte a te!
sta 'nfronte a te!

English Translation

What a wonderful thing a sunny day
The serene air after a thunderstorm
The fresh air, and a party is already going on…
What a wonderful thing a sunny day.
But another sun,
that’s brighter still
It’s my own sun
that’s in your face!
The sun, my own sun
It’s in your face!
It’s in your face!
When night comes and the sun has gone down,
I start feeling blue;
I’d stay below your window
When night comes and the sun has gone down.
But another sun,
that’s brighter still
It’s my own sun
that’s in your face!
The sun, my own sun
It’s in your face!
It’s in your face!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.