Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Beatles: I'll Follow The Sun (1964)



The Beatles perform “I'll Follow the Sun,” a melancholy ballad.” It was released on the Beatles for Sale album in the United Kingdom in 1964, and a year later in the United States on Beatles ’65.


I'll Follow the Sun
By John Lennon & Paul McCartney

One day
You'll look to see I've gone
For tomorrow may rain
So I'll follow the sun

Some day
You'll know I was the one
But tomorrow may rain
So I'll follow the sun

And now the time has come
And so my love I must go
And though I lose a friend
In the end you will know

Oh one day
You'll find that I have gone
But tomorrow may rain
So I'll follow the sun

Yet tomorrow may rain
So I'll follow the sun

And now the time has come
And so my love I must go
And though I lose a friend
In the end you will know

Oh one day
You'll find that I have gone
But tomorrow may rain
So I'll follow the sun

This superficial-sounding pop melody has far deeper meanings than one would expect for an early Beatles song. The song, filled with modern cultural references, speaks about the rejection of youthful love, and its short-term consequences. It follows the literary trope of a young lovelorn man who issues a final ultimatum before leaving town to seek some romantic reward, possibly as some sort of compensatory action. Or is it a kind of redemption offered by the sun?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.