Thursday, October 22, 2015

Robert Palmer: Bad Case Of Loving You (1979)



Robert Palmer performs “Bad Case Of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)” in this 1979 video; the song is the first track on his album, Secrets, released by the British label, Island Records, in June 1979. The song was written by Moon Martin.

Wikipedia writes:
The main difference between Moon’s version and the cover by Robert Palmer is that Palmer’s version is in major key while Moon’s in minor, making the song sound more ominous. It was remixed with heavier guitars and drums for Palmer’s greatest hits collection Addictions: Volume 1. The song was nominated for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance at the 22nd Annual Grammy Awards.[1]
Palmer was born in England (1949), but grew up up in Malta, where his father, a naval intelligence officer, was stationed. While there, Palmer listening to the American Forces Network, in particular, Billie Holliday, Peggy Lee and Nat King Cole. The influences are apparent.

He is known for his smooth soulful voice, and the first to make a flashy but tasteful music video, “Addicted to Love,” in 1986, featuring high fashion models. This became his signature song.

Palmer died of a heart attack in 2003 at the age of 54.


Bad Case Of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)
by Moon Martin

A hot summer night fell like a net
I've gotta find my baby yet
I need you to soothe my head
Turn my blue heart to red

Doctor Doctor, gimme the news I got a
Bad case of lovin' you
No pill's gonna cure my ill I've got a
Bad case of lovin' you

A pretty face don't make no pretty heart
I learned that buddy from the start
You think I'm cute, a little bit shy
Mama, I ain't that kind of guy

Doctor Doctor, gimme the news I got a
Bad case of lovin' you
No pill's gonna cure my ill I got a
Bad case of lovin' you

I know you like it, you like it on top
Tell me mama, are you gonna stop?

You had me down twenty-one to zip
Smile of Judas on your lip
Shake my fist, knock on wood
I've got it bad, and I got it good

Doctor Doctor, gimme the news I've got a
Bad case of lovin' you
No pill's gonna cure my ill I got a
Bad case of lovin' you

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.