Thursday, December 24, 2015

Leonard Cohen: The Land Of Plenty




The Land of Plenty” is the tenth and last track on the album, Ten New Songs, which was released in October 2001. Leonard Cohen wrote and produced the album with Sharon Robinson, who sings in all the songs, making this album a complete collaboration. This song blends realism and pessimism with hopeful reconciliation and redemption. Present in the song is a profound (yet mournful) sense of irony: what we see is not necessarily the same as what is often set before us.

The Land of Plenty
by Leonard Cohen & Sharon Robinson

Don’t really have the courage
To stand where I must stand.
Don't really have the temperament
To lend a helping hand.

Don’t really know who sent me
To raise my voice and say:
May the lights in The Land of Plenty
Shine on the truth some day.

I don’t know why I've come here,
Knowing as I do,
What you really think of me,
What I really think of you.

For the millions in the prison,
That wealth has set apart
For the Christ who has not risen,
From the caverns of the heart

For the innermost decision,
That we cannot but obey
For what's left of our religion,
I lift my voice and pray:
May the lights in The Land of Plenty
Shine on the truth some day.

I know I said I’d meet you,
I’d meet you at the store,
But I can’t buy it, baby.
I can’t buy it anymore.

And I don't really know who sent me,
To raise my voice and say:
May the lights in The Land of Plenty
Shine on the truth some day.

For the innermost decision
That we cannot buy obey
For what's left of our religion
I lift my voice and pray:
May the lights in The Land of Plenty
Shine on the truth some day.

*********************
I am taking a short winter break; happy and healthy holidays to all. I expect to return in a couple of weeks, when there will be a bit more light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.