Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Mikado (1992)

Comic Opera



The D’Oyly Carte Opera Company puts on a performance of “The Mikado” (or “The Town of Titipu”) at Buxton Opera House (Buxton, Derbyshire, England) in 1992. This comic opera, by Gilbert & Sullivan, first opened at the Savoy Theater in London on March 14, 1885. As much as some things change, much remains the same. Comedy is comedy.

The full play can be found here; and a summary of the plot here. Furthermore, and for your consideration, are two fine reviews: the first by Peter Gutmann here; and the second by Beryl Belsky here.

Some notable lines:

Mikado. I'm really very sorry for you all, but it’s an unjust world, and virtue is triumphant only in theatrical performances.

Pooh-Bah: Don’t mention it. I am, in point of fact, a particularly haughty and exclusive person, of pre-Adamite ancestral descent. You will understand this when I tell you that I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable. I can't help it. I was born sneering. But I struggle hard to overcome this defect. I mortify my pride continually. When all the great officers of State resigned in a body because they were too proud to serve under an ex-tailor, did I not unhesitatingly accept all their posts at once?

Yum-Yum: Yes, I am indeed beautiful! Sometimes I sit and wonder, in my artless Japanese way, why it is that I am so much more attractive than anybody else in the whole world. Can this be vanity? No! Nature is lovely and rejoices in her loveliness. I am a child of Nature, and take after my mother.