Saturday, April 30, 2016

Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody (1987)



Whitney Houston [1963–2012] performs “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me),” which is the first single and title track from her second studio album, Whitney. The single was released on February 3, 1987; and the album on June 2, 1987. The song won a Grammy for Houston at the 30th Grammy Awards, in 1988, for “Best Pop Vocal Performance.” Whitney Houston, a mezzo-soprano, was referred to as “The Voice.” She died tragically and accidentally, on February 12, 2012. The official cause of death is drowning due to drug intoxication. She was 48.

It is within the realm of human nature for people to cast harsh, unforgiving judgments on her life choices, particularly her long use of narcotics, which led to in her spiral downward and her eventual death. But I am not one of those people; for one, I do not know the circumstances of how and why she made such choices, as self-destructive as they might be and as foolish as they seem today. It is not that I am condoning it, but I am also not able to condemn it. Judgment is easy when the focus is on someone else and never easy when the spotlight is on you.

Honest self-examination and -appraisal often leads to a more forgiving view of others. This is always true, even when it is given little credence or denied. Why is it so easy to judge and so hard to forgive? Are humans hard-wired this way? Who knows? You do know, however, the (moral) story of what takes place when you point a finger of accusation at someone else. It comes back to haunt you.

So, I continue to remember Whitney Houston chiefly for the joy that she gave me (us) with her singing and with her exceptional musical performances, and also be reminded that without love there is something important, essential, missing in the world, including in the world of our personal lives. Rare is the person who wants to be completely alone. This is not mere sentimentality, or romanticism, but a time-tested fact of life. This is the title track of life. There are times when I am at odds with it, with its sentiments and declarations, but I soon return to it.

If some of us are lucky to find it—“love”—we have indeed found something valuable and need to hold on to it with dear life.

**********************
I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
By George Merrill & Shannon Rubicam

Clock strikes upon the hour,
And the sun begins to fade.
Still enough time to figure out,
How to chase my blues away.

I've done alright up till now.
It's the light of day that shows me how.
And when the night falls...
The loneliness calls.

Oh I wanna dance with somebody,
I wanna feel the heat with somebody.
Yeah I wanna dance with somebody,
With somebody who loves me.
Oh I wanna dance with somebody,
I wanna feel the heat with somebody.
Yeah I wanna dance with somebody,
With somebody who loves me.

I've been in love,
And lost my senses,
Spinning through the town.
Sooner or later the fever ends,
And I wind up feeling down.

I need a man who'll take a chance,
On a love that burns hot enough to last.
So when the night falls,
My lonely heart calls.

Oh I wanna dance with somebody,
I wanna feel the heat with somebody.
Yeah I wanna dance with somebody,
With somebody who loves me.
Oh I wanna dance with somebody,
I wanna feel the heat.
Yeah I wanna dance with somebody,
With somebody who loves me.
(Somebody who somebody who)somebody who loves me,
(Somebody who somebody who)to hold me in his arms.
I need a man who'll take a chance,
On a love that burns hot enough to last.
So when the night falls,
My lonely heart calls.

Oh I wanna dance with somebody,
I wanna feel the heat with somebody.
Yeah I wanna dance with somebody,
With somebody who loves me.
Oh I wanna dance with somebody,
I wanna feel the heat with somebody.
Yeah I wanna dance with somebody,
With somebody who loves me.
Yeah,
Don't you wanna dance with me baby?
Don't you wanna dance with me boy?
Don't you wanna dance with me baby?
With somebody who loves me,

Don't you wanna dance
Say you wanna dance
Don't you wanna dance... X3
Uh-huh
With somebody who loves me