Thursday, September 29, 2016

Deadly Cancer And The Life-Saving Help I Got From Mesothelioma Lawyer Center

Guest Voices

Every once in a while I have a “Guest Voice” on my blog; it is usually about a subject that is typically covered on this blog. No subject is closer to my heart than cancer, and to hear the good news of someone’s recovery, especially when it is helped by kind people, as the writer of this post, Katherine Keys, explains, well, it makes my day and brings a smile to my face.When Ms. Keys contacted me, I thought that the best way of telling her story is that she tell it in the first person. This is what she has done.








**********************************
by Katherine Keys


When I got the diagnosis of mesothelioma, it was a terrible shock. I was devastated. This is a type of cancer that has very poor survival rate statistically. Even for stage I mesothelioma, the median survival time is just 21 months. That meant I was supposed to have no more than two years to live, most likely. It was hard to hear, but thanks to my friends at Mesothelioma Lawyer Center, I was able to beat the odds, and it has been nine years now.

Mesothelioma: Caused by Asbestos
I was diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma, a cancer that attacks the pleura, these thin layers of tissue that surrounds the lungs. When I got my diagnosis, I was only at stage I. Most people with this type of cancer are not so lucky. Most people are diagnosed in the later stages because it takes years, often decades, for the symptoms of mesothelioma to become severe enough for a person to go to the doctor. Even then, many people are misdiagnosed.

Mesothelioma is a rare type of cancer, and an aggressive one. We still don’t know everything there is to know about it, but we do know that the leading risk factor is asbestos exposure. Over many years some people have inhaled the fibers from this harmful mineral. They get lodged in the lungs and pleura and cause the damage that leads to cancer. There are many more restrictions today on the use of asbestos, but this came only after thousands of people suffered from the consequences of exposure.

My Story Fighting Mesothelioma
My story starts with symptoms that seemed like the flu. I thought I had just come down with a nasty viral infection, but then the symptoms wouldn’t go away. My doctor prescribed painkillers, but they didn’t help. One day the pain in my chest and lungs was too much to bear and I ended up in the emergency room. I was just 49 years old when I received the diagnosis right there in the emergency room that I had cancer.

Given just about two years to live, I was not prepared to accept that prognosis. I felt young enough to fight this cancer, especially since it was only at stage I. That meant it had not yet spread very far, so treatments could get it under control if we were aggressive enough.

I underwent an extrapleural pneumonectomy, a radical surgical procedure that removed my entire right lung as well as the pleura surrounding it. I was left with just one lung, months of recovery to go, and radiation treatment to target any remaining cancer cells. The results were amazing; the cancer was gone. I now get checked out once a year, and every year I hear the wonderful news that the cancer has not returned. I am in pain sometimes and my one lung gives me some limitations, but I get to live and I couldn’t be happier or more grateful.

Working with Mesothelioma Lawyer Center
One thing I am especially grateful for is the help I got from Mesothelioma Lawyer Center. The kind and compassionate people there always made me feel special and provided me with the information and contacts I needed to understand my cancer and get the treatment that saved my life. They are the reason that I am here today and able to share my story of hope with others.

Mesothelioma Lawyer Center provides a wealth of information, thoroughly researched, that helps mesothelioma patients feel more confident seeing doctors and lawyers about their illnesses. They also help patients find experienced lawyers who specialize in helping asbestos victims file lawsuits and get the justice and compensation they deserve after being unknowingly exposed to this poisonous mineral. I encourage anyone who has received this terrible diagnosis to let Mesothelioma Lawer Center give them information and options. It’s what saved my life.

**********************************
Katherine Keys has been fighting Mesothelioma for 9 years. When she was first diagnosed at the age of 49, doctors told her she had less than 2 years to live. Katherine refused to believe her time was limited and instead decided to fight the cancer. Katherine is convinced that it was her positive attitude and determination to win that has allowed her to survive against the odds. 

For treatment, Katherine had her right lung and the lining of the lung removed, a major surgical procedure called extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP). After several months of recovery, Katherine began radiation treatments. She had treatments five times per week for several months. Although she had been scheduled for chemotherapy treatments, she was relieved to learn that she didn’t have to have them.

Today, Katherine feels blessed to be able to spend time with her family and share her story with other people living with mesothelioma. While she has been through a lot and is still challenged by physical pain and limitations after having a lung removed, Katherine sees every day as a gift. She hopes her story brings resilience and positivity to people living with mesothelioma.


**********************************
Copyright ©2016. Katherine Keys. All Rights Reserved. It is republished here with the author’s permission.