Friday, December 2, 2016

Luba: Everytime I See Your Picture (1983)

Montreal Memories & Nostalgia




Luba (born in 1958 as Lubomyra Kowalchyk in Montréal, Québec) sings “Everytime I See Your Picture,” a song she wrote after her father’s death in 1979. (My father died a year later, in 1980, so the song’s sentiments became mine as well, during a period in my life when I still acutely felt the loss of a guiding voice in my young life, at a time when I was still mourning, still grieving.) Moreover and perhaps more important, the song and the voice resonated with the public so it saturated the Montreal airwaves in 1983, becoming a major hit. Sure, the song is sappy, but if you can’t enjoy such music when young, when can you?

Luba is one of the most successful Canadian singers, Wikipedia notes “[being] a three-time winner of the Canadian music industry Juno Award for Female Vocalist of the Year (1985–1987).” She achieved success in Canada without charting across the border in the U.S., which is rare for a creative performer from Canada. Although no longer in the public spotlight, Luba continues to sing and record for her own independent label.

For more, go to [Luba Fanpage].

Everytime I See Your Picture
by Luba & Pierre Marchand

In my mind
I've got it all figured out
But the head
Does not always rule the heart

And I try to place him
Out of body and soul
Just when I thought I'd made it
His images start taking their toll on me

I feel his memory haunting me
Time and again
I feel weak because

Every time I see your picture, I cry
And I try to get over you
One more time because
Every time I see your picture, I cry
Oh, I cry

There you rest inside
The walls of a flame
Hurts so bad
I can almost feel your eyes

Calling out my name and so
Out of body and soul
You're everywhere I go
Illusion or reality, I don't know

I feel your memory haunting me
Time and again
I feel weak because

Every time I see your picture, I cry
And I try to get over you
One more time because
Every time I see your picture, I cry
Oh, I cry