Wednesday, June 21, 2017

George Harrison: Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)


Via: Youtube

George Harrison [1943–2001] and his band perform “Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth),” which is found on his 1973 album Living in the Material WorldHarrison’s personal confession of faith and love. You can hear an earlier version of the song [here], and a later version at a November 29, 2002 tribute evening, “Concert for George,” [here] at Royal Albert Hall in London, one year after his death.

Do such words as love and peace carry the same meaning as when this song was written and sung? I say this for a reason, because I would think that they do, but so much I see and read argues against this romantic sentiment of mine. Forty years is now a long time, with so much changing so quickly; during this period, but notably in the last 15 to 20 years, there have been so many changes in language and in meaning of words and in how we tend to view words such as love and peace today.

A whole generation has grown up under a dark cloud; a whole generation has grown up with the normalization of hate, fear and violence. A whole generation has grown up without any belief in hope. Think not? Look at what the culture today values and enjoys in TV, film, music and artistic expression. It is not that the past is necessarily better in all respects, but at least it had some comprehensive and deep abiding ideas on how to live as a human being. People were also both more serious and more humorous and unafraid to be this way.

Now, we have become ignorant and blithely ignore real concerns, including helping the very people who need the most help. Now, the politics of division, which finds clarity offensive, also finds peace and love less desirable than hate and conflict, serving the interests of the few. This is carried on the wave of self-indulgence, self-aggrandizement and self-entitlement. Self. Self. Self. Turning inward. Whose Self is it anyway? Where does it end? Self-fulfillment. Self-entitlement. Self-destruction.

It is easier to manipulate people when fear fills the air as a kind of toxic pollution that makes it hard to breathe. The bad air is heavy with anxiety and will weigh you down in depressive defeat. Down. Down. Down. Yet, for me these universal words of light have the same meaning. The music tells me so. Listen to the music of love, hope and peace, my friends. It will help you breathe; the mind requires oxygen to think clearly, to look beyond selfish interests, which has become another barrier. It will lift you up. Up. Up. Up.


Give Me Love
by George Harrison

Give me love
Give me love
Give me peace on earth
Give me light
Give me life
Keep me free from birth
Give me hope
Help me cope, with this heavy load
Trying to, touch and reach you with,
Heart and soul

Om m m m m m m m m m m m m m
M m m my lord . . .

Please take hold of my hand, that
I might understand you

Won't you please
Oh won't you

Give me love
Give me love
Give me peace on earth
Give me light
Give me life
Keep me free from birth
Give me hope
Help me cope, with this heavy load
Trying to, touch and reach you with,
Heart and soul

Om m m m m m m m m m m m m m

M m m my lord . . .

******************
Summer begins with the summer solstice (in North America) today at 12:24 A.M. EDT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ought to reflect the post in question. All comments are moderated; and inappropriate comments, including those that attack persons, those that use profanity and those that are hateful, will not be tolerated. So, keep it on target, clean and thoughtful. This is not a forum for personal vendettas or to create a toxic environment. The chief idea is to engage, to discuss and to critique issues. Doing so within acceptable norms will make the process more rewarding and healthy for everyone. Accordingly, anonymous comments will not be posted.